Testing the Waters

On Saturday January 6th, the Lake Central’s girls swim team took on the Highland Invite with other schools such as Portage, Munster, Mereville and Highland. The swimmers and divers went head to head with the rival teams as they tried to get ahead and also beat their personal records. 

“I know that the divers did pretty good. I didn’t place as well as I wanted to, but it was our first  dive meet of the season and was practice for our DAC meet this upcoming Saturday. I placed in the top third and our other girl diver was able to place higher than she was ranked before,” Aerin White (11) said. 

The students will continue to prepare for sectionals and DAC. They hope to perform well and place high. The swimmers discuss their goals for the rest of this season and how they plan on finishing it out. Katelyn Wess (12) talks about how she keeps her head in the game and where she sees herself at the end of the season.

“My friends and teammates cheering me on is what keeps me motivated while swimming. Our team is expected to get second at sectionals this season,” Wess said. 

The swimmers and divers go to early morning practices, which start as early as 4:30, to train for their meets. Even though some students may find this task exhausting, it is crucial for them to perform well in meets and stay motivated while in the water. 

“What keeps me swimming in the water are my personal goals I’m trying to achieve and the opportunity to swim certain championship meets like DAC or sectionals that not everyone gets to swim in,” Tara Schassburger (11) said.

The team will continue to improve with each meet and hopefully receive more personal bests. Wess discusses how her team and her personal performance was at the HIghland Invite. 

“The meet went okay. We could’ve done better, but we placed fourth. Personally, I did pretty well. I got my best times in my races,” Wess said. 

Overall, the team’s performance in this meet went well. The swimmers and divers will continue with more meets until they go to sectional then DAC.