Score of the Season

The gymnastics team had an away meet on Jan. 23rd, against Valparaiso High School. The team lost to the Vikings, but had the highest score of the year so far, which was 105.775 for all of the events combined.

“ [My teammates] inspire me because they are always so happy. Even if we don’t do good as a team, they still look upon the bright side of things. After each competition, I look back at what I need to work on and try to fix that,” Kailynn Paat (9) said.

Even though they lost the meet, Paat and her teammates used this meet to better their routines and learn from their mistakes. One of her teammates named Janna Kendall (10) overcame her nerves before the meet, so that way she would do her best.

“I felt very nervous because we know the team is very good. I think that we tried our best and did well overall. I celebrate depending on how well I did, and if my parents tell me what I did wrong or right. [To overcome a new move,] I try to not get in my head  because I know I can do it, I just have to try and overcome the mental blocks,” Kendall said.

Meanwhile, Paat, who is the only freshman, looks up to her teammates to get motivation for her future goals.

“The meet was good and our team did amazing with having the highest score so far [in the season]. As the only freshman, I look forward to the season and continuing it through the next few years left. [Being on varsity] is really exciting, and it is really a great opportunity to have as a freshman. I want to pursue gymnastics in the future, and I just want to do the best I can,” Paat said.