Swim Prelims

On Feb. 15th, the Varsity Boys Swim Team competed in Sectional Swimming Preliminaries against other schools in the area. Many of the boys placed first in their events, allowing them to be eligible for state. 

To be in the best shape possible for their upcoming Sectional tournament, these athletes train on a rigorous schedule. This requires them to come to school very early and stay after to practice and achieve the best form for the competition.

“Every single practice we do is Monday through Friday. Before sectionals, it’s in the morning, it’s from 5 to 6:30 am. And then in the afternoon, it’s 2:30 to either 4:30 or 5,” Bulfer said.

“That was my peak performance. I only did slightly better in sectional finals. I got to these times through 4 years of unadulterated practice. This practice included slamming yards and slamming weights,” Alistair Conrath (12) said.  

Although the physical aspect is very important, the mindset that these swimmers have going into the competition is crucial. Both traits are important so that the swimmer can focus for the highest performance possible.

“Normally, it’s just a lot of mental stuff. You do a lot of training before, but it’s more mental stuff. You have to be mentally prepared to go. You should be nervous. You should always be nervous and scared. But other than that, it’s just a mental game,” Jack Bulfer (11) said.      

Although the routine can be tough for some, the mental benefits and relationships make it all worth it. Many swimmers feel that joining the swim team has changed their mentality about life for the better.

“Being in swimming for four years has helped me gain strength. I’ve gained discipline. I’ve got some friends from that. I’ve learned lessons I can’t learn anywhere else. Coach Jeff taught me more than most of these teachers here,” Conrath said.