Swimming Travels to Penn

Varsity swimmer Holly Spears (11) warms up for the 50 freestyle. She placed first with a time of 24:78.

Saturday, Dec. 8, girls Varsity and JV swimming and diving traveled two hours away to Penn High School in Mishawaka for the Penn Invitational and lost with a final score of 148-78.

Though they did not win, Head Coach Todd Smolinski, Social Studies, gave them praise.

“They did great. We didn’t come out with a win, but overall they had a good performance. Penn is tough competition. [The swimmers] went out there, raced hard and put up some good scores,” Smolinski said.

Holly Spears (11), a three year Varsity swimmer, has experience going against Penn, but has optimism about facing them in the future.

“The team did really well; a lot of us were close to last year’s Sectional times, so I think we’re pretty ahead of last season. We just have to keep working harder and focus on the little things like finishing the races and doing those close touches. I think we have more depth than any other team out there; we have a lot of good people, whereas they have one really good person in this event or that event. We have much more variety, “ Spears said.

The next varsity girls swim meet is Tuesday, Dec. 11, against LaPorte at 5:30 PM.