Varsity Boys Swimming Places Third at Highland Invit

On Dec. 28, the boys varsity swimming team took part in the Highland Invite at Highland High School. Despite some small setbacks, they achieved third place.

“I was very impressed with how we did. No one really thought we could beat [Valparaiso] in the meet especially without Brandon [Egebrecht] (12), but we really had some guys like Kyle Massa (9) step up to help us get third,” Joshua Barajas (11) said.

The meet consisted of eight teams: Lake Central, Highland, Crown Point, Munster, Michigan City, Portage, Valparaiso and South Bend. However, the boys felt the most rivalry towards Munster and Crown Point, who placed first and second, respectively.

“The biggest competition is definatly Munster and Crown Point since we still have upcoming duels with them and they are also in our Sectional,” Barajas said.

Although they achieved a high place in the meet, the team has begun to identify ways to improve.

“We are really just working on training hard so when sectionals rolls around, we’ll be ready and will be able to compete for first place.,” Christopher Albright (12) said.

As the season is coming to an end, their next competition is the last home meet and senior night, January 3 against Michigan City at 5:30 p.m.