Squashing Tradition of the Indian

When the idea of changing the school mascot was leaked, controversy swarmed the school. Students began campaigning to keep the Indian while others campaign to destroy its existence.

Change can be a good thing, but when it squashes tradition, it needs to be reconsidered. Even before Lake Central opened its doors in 1963, the previous school Dyer Central used the Indian mascot. For over 50 years, the Tri-Town has used the Indian as a mascot, creating a tradition that many teens hope to one day be a part of.

The Indian head is a symbol of honor, pride and courage; traits all LC students are encouraged to take part in. A mascot needs to resemble what a school wants for its students as well as the area the school is in. The football field was an Indian burial ground and skeletal remains of Native Americans were found at Kahler Middle School, concluding that Indians were in the area, making sense of an Indian mascot for the school.

The Indian represents the area we are educated in and encourages a sense of pride we all have. If the mascot were to change, the sense of pride and tradition would be buried. Current underclassmen would have to find money for new lettermen jackets and spirit wear, while alumni may forever lose the sense of what it means to be a Lake Central Indian.