LC Identity Crisis

Mr.+Tony+Bartolomeo+discusses+the+future+of+the+LC+mascot+at+the+Jan.+14+Athletic+Booster+Club+meeting.++The+topic+will+be+further+discussed+however%2C+a+date+for+the+meeting+has+not+been+set.%0A+
    Mr. Tony Bartolomeo discusses the future of the LC mascot at the Jan. 14 Athletic Booster Club meeting. The topic will be further discussed however, a date for the meeting has not been set.

On Monday, Jan 14., the Athletic Booster Club held their monthly meeting in the LGI. One of the many topics discussed was changing the school mascot.

“They’re considering changing the mascot now, and they asked me my input,” Mr. Tony Bartolomeo, Athletic Director, said. “First of all, I believe doing everything we do the best way possible and taking our schools from very good to elite. The first thing we’re going to have to do from an athletic standpoint is that all of our schools from Kindergarten to 12th grade have to be the same thing.”

Five years ago, when Lake Central entered the Duneland Athletic Conference, the Indian was reviewed and found to be acceptable as long as it was not portrayed in a fighting matter.

“We’re getting ready to move into a school and you want your new school to absolutely be a home run with your imagery and your logo and your brand. You really don’t want to open a new facility like this with just a bunch of LC’s everywhere,” Bartolomeo said.

The conversation is in its preliminary phases at this point. The decision concerning the fate of the “indian” has not been made yet.

“If it comes the time to take the conversation beyond the “what if” phase, which is what we are now, I would envision a committee type process that would involve teachers, parents, students, and alumni. That committee is going to be the heart and soul of gathering data and research,” Mr. Robin Tobias, Principal, said.

Meetings concerning this topic have not been scheduled yet. More information will follow.