Boys’ Swimming Starts off Sectional Prelims

+Matthew+Applegate+%2810%29+jumps+off+the+blocks+after+the+start+of+the+200+Individual+Medley.+Applegate+dropped+a+total+of+three+seconds+from+his+best+time.+
Matthew Applegate (10) jumps off the blocks after the start of the 200 Individual Medley. Applegate dropped a total of three seconds from his best time.

The most anticipated day of the year for the boys’ swim team, Sectional preliminaries, took place Thursday night, Feb. 14, at Crown Point High School. With bald heads and shaved legs, the team set out to make a statement.

“I think overall everyone had a great meet. We really had some great time drops and almost everyone is coming back to swim on Saturday which is a great thing,” Joshua Barajas (10) said.

One swimmer in particular, Christopher Albright, stood out with a very impressive time drop of eleven seconds from his personal best. He ended up with a time of 5:00.28.

“The 500 [freestyle] was a really exciting race for me. My strokes felt smooth and powerful and I just felt very confident in my race. Although I did very well at prelims, I hope to be able to go under five minutes at finals,” Christopher Albright (12) said.

The boys return to Crown Point Saturday at 1 p.m. to compete for finals. Their central focus is to qualify for State Feb. 23 in Indianapolis.