Boys Diving Goes Out With a Bang

Varsity diver Christopher Rath (11) prepares for a backward dive at Sectionals in Crown Point. Rath performed well and placed in sixth.

On Feb. 16, boys diving traveled to Crown Point High School and competed at Sectionals against divers from around the area. After a season of morning practices, strength training workouts and the desire to do well, the boys made their final meet one to remember.

Christopher Rath (11) placed in sixth and was happy about the way he performed but is looking to improve next year.

“I definitely want to improve on my twisters and can’t wait to surprise everyone with my new summer lists,” Rath said.

The diving coach, Thomas Slivka, praised Rath on how well he performed.

“Chris was pretty impressive and I think he did incredibly well. He has a lot of work to do on twisting and form, but I am very happy with his performance,” Slivka said.

Rath, however, is not the only one who left an impression at Crown Point. Unlike most freshman divers, Alexander Morgan (9) proved himself by earning his sectional spot on varsity. Morgan placed in eleventh.

“It was exciting to watch all the other divers who were really good. I think i did really well but not my best,” Morgan said.

Slivka was also pleased with the Morgan’s performance on Saturday.

“Alex is a rare combination of natural ability, work ethic and drive. It came as no surprise that he progressed as quickly as he did with his four months in the sport,” Slivka said.

Already anticipating next year, Slivka has high hopes for the boys to do well in their next season.

“I think that any one of our boys can be running the show at Sectionals/Regionals next year. Hopefully they get the job done in the off season,” Slivka said.

Though the high school diving season is over, diving trains year-round and travels around Indiana to compete through Starz, a club diving team.