JV Tennis Trumps Merrillville

Andjela Jovanovic (11) split steps to prepare for a forehand shot. Jovanovic played 1 singles for girls JV on May 7.

On Tuesday, May 7, the girls tennis team traveled to Merrillville for their final away match of their regular season.

“This season has been fantastic. I really feel like I’ve made bonds with all of the girls and that we have become stronger as a team because we made cuts for the first time this year,” Navneet Kaur (10) said.

After losing their last match against Crown Point, the JV team was looking for a win.

“We were all really upset when we lost because it was the only match we have lost as a team. Next year, our goal is definitely to stay undefeated and we are coming for Crown Point,” Kaur said.

Only losing two matches throughout the JV lineup, the girls pulled out an 8-2 win.

“We are now 11-1 for our record. I am so proud of my teammates and how hard we have worked this season,” Paige Smedley (11) said.

The team faces Michigan City Thursday and Whiting on Friday at home with a JV tournament in Merrillville on Saturday.

“JV is a really great building block so people can get used to competitive play and work on their skills to get to varsity,” Smedley said.