Holding Their Own

Alexander Mantel (11) prepares to catch the ball and apply the tag on a Cathedral player. The Tribe lost both games on May 11 by scores of 5-0 and 8-3.

It is always good to measure yourself against some tough competition. The Indians accepted the challenge of facing Indianapolis Cathedral on Saturday, May 11.

“I think they were the toughest team we’ve played against just because they could hit, field and pitch. They’re the most complete team we’ve played against,” Ryan Burvan (12) said.

The Irish snatched both W’s in the double feature by scores of 5-0 and 8-3. They succeeded in their quest for revenge over the Tribe, who defeated them 7-1 in last year’s North Central Invitational tournament.

“I think playing Cathedral, the No. 1 team in the state, taught us that if we play our game, making no mistakes and getting guys on base, we could beat any team,” Alexander Mantel (11) said.

The boys in blue will close out their regular season with three road games, two of which are opportunities to cement themselves as the class of the DAC.

“The two DAC games coming up are very important to us, but we have to be thinking about Sectionals, which is also very important to us. We are going to prepare by competing to our full potential in these upcoming games and working on all of the little mistakes we are making at our practices this week,” Brenden Seren (11) said.

The Indians will receive their draw for Sectionals prior to Tuesday’s game against the LaPorte Slicers.

Writers Note: This story can be viewed on my blog, the Jimtionary.