Smashing Seniors

Vanessa Olson (12) stands with Coach Bryan Szalonek as he reads her favorite tennis memories, both on and off the court. Olson played with Marlo Owczarzak (12) at one doubles and beat out Whiting.

On the chilly evening of May 10, the girls tennis team gathered in the pool foyer for Senior Night after a 3-2 varsity victory against the Whiting Oilers.

“I thought that I played well that night, so it was a good way to end the season,” Marlo Owczarzak (12) said.

Once the girls started finishing up their meals, the coaches called up the seniors one-by-one to recognize their accomplishments and look at each player’s memories from the years spent on the team.

“I had a lot of fun. [Senior Night] was really emotional and was probably one of the best high school sports moments for me,” Vanessa Olson (12) said.

After taking a stroll down memory lane, underclassmen on the team presented their senior with a parting gift.

“I felt like it was a good celebration of the four years I spent on the team, and the underclassmen did a good job of honoring the seniors,” Emma Rogers (12) said.

Usually Senior Night is the last home match of the year; however, with rained out matches, the girls last home match will be against Michigan City on May 13 at 4:30 p.m.