Girls Tennis Varsity Doubles to Advance in Regional Finals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vanessa Olson (12) and Marlo Owczarak (12) discuss their strategy with Coach Katelin Muesing. The girls went on to win their match at Highland High School against Lowell in straight sets.

Kate Toth and lakecentralnews

At Highland High School on May 21, the girls varsity doubles team played against Lowell at the Doubles Regional. Vanessa Olson (12) and Marlo Owczarzak (12) won their match 6-0, 6-1.

The match was intended to begin at 5:30 on the first available court.

“Our match started really late. We were supposed to start at 5:30, but we didn’t start until about 6:30, and I think that affected how we played,” Owczarzak said.

This is the first time in over 10 years that the girls tennis team has had a doubles team move past Sectionals.

“Vanessa and I are very excited to move on to Regional’s Finals because we have worked really hard this season. Our tennis team has improved this season, and we have made a name for Lake Central Tennis” Owczarzak said.

The girls will play on May 23 at 4:30 at Highland High School against Andrean for the Regional Championship.