Sectional Game One and Done

In the first inning of the first game of Sectionals, the Indians came out ready to fight, defeating the Lowell Red Devils 8-2 on Saturday, May 25.

Brenden Seren (11) came out early and knocked the ball over the left field fence, giving LC a 2-0 lead.

The Red Devils answered with two more runs on two errors by LC, bringing the score to 2-2.

The Indians stopped the Red Devils’ postseason campaign there.

After the first inning flukes, pitcher Antonio Majstorov (12) would not let that get the Tribe down. He did not allow any runs, or hits for that matter, for the last six innings.

“The throwing error I had in the first motivated me to take control of the game,” Majstorov said.

After Majstorov was walked in the top of the fourth inning, Alexander Mantel (11) hit a double to get things rolling. Steven Fulk (12) and Ryan Burvan (12) grabbed an RBI each, to bring the score to 4-2.

With a steady stream of hits, including a triple by Burvan, the score came up to 8-2 by the end of the seventh inning.

Despite the high score, Coach Jeff Sandor still believes the performance did not show their true talent.

“I don’t think we played well, but it doesn’t matter, we’re still alive. I don’t think our offense was characteristic of [how we are normally],” Sandor said.

The Indians will take on the Morton Governors (13-9) Monday, May 27 at Munster at 12:30 p.m.

“It will be just like any other game, like Valpo or Portage. Anything can happen. We can’t have flukes like we had [Saturday],” Anthony Schneider (12) said.

If the Indians win over Morton, they will face either Munster or East Chicago at 7:30 p.m. Monday night. But first, they must get over the Morton hurdle.

“The mindset is going to be to get runs early and make them think that they’re not in it. We’re going to come out and play.” Sandor said.