Reminiscing Romance: “Anyone but You” Movie Review

On December 22th, 2023, Sony Pictures released their new movie “Anyone but You” starring Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell.  The movie had a $25 million dollar budget and  ended up earning quadruple of that amount, making $100 million so far. The film was inspired by “Much Ado About Nothing” which was written by William Shakespeare. The movie, directed by Will Gluck, is about a couple who go on what they thought was going to be an amazing first date when in reality, it ends up going in the wrong direction.  

“I thought ‘Anyone but You’ was a great movie. I love rom-coms and romance movies.  Being able to have a rom-com from this generation was nice to see. I loved how ‘Unwritten’ by Natasha Bedingfield was in the movie. It added a fun upbeat touch, and I have not stopped listening to it since I saw the movie,” Lia Lisac (12) said. 

When a new movie is in the process of being released, a team will start to advertise the film, so people know it is coming out soon. There are many different ways a company can go about advertising a movie such as making an advertising campaign, or even having a big event to get the audience excited for the release which is exactly how “Anyone but You” was promoted.

“I recently just watched the movie. I really loved the idea of the movie because of the genre. When I got deeper into the movie, I realized I overhyped it way too much in my head. It was not the worst movie I have seen, but it definitely was not the best. After seeing the whole movie, I realized that a lot of the scenes were cringey like the hiking scene. Overall, I enjoyed watching the movie. I just wish it lived up to my expectations,” Precious Simon-Nelson (10) said.